[TowerTalk] Optimum yagi stacking distance

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Sat Jan 19 04:38:15 EST 2008

I am planning on stacking another 4 ele SteppIR on my tower.  I
currently have a 4 ele SteppIR at 70ft.  I do not live on flat ground.
Running HFTA it became clear that the top antenna was too high on 10 and
15 and I had some fairly significant holes.  Some of this is caused by
the hills around my QTH.  I wish I lived on a hilltop but I don't.

My model showed that stacking the 2nd antenna around the 30ft height
would help optimize the pattern.  I need to do a bunch more work with
HFTA and decide if that is indeed where I want the antenna to be.

You also need to look at what types of contests or operating you do.
For DX work 70ft on 20m is ok but not great.