[TowerTalk] Optimum yagi stacking distance

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sat Jan 19 21:26:56 EST 2008

Hi, Bill.

I didn't state that very well.  I was trying to say that 30 feet SPACING
was as little as I would use for the tribanders.  I wasn't referring to
the height.

By the way,  I do have that that sort of terrain ... I live on a
hillside with a long 18 percent grade sloping downward to the east and
northeast.  I'm in the process of putting up a 70 foot freestanding
tower (I got the base secured in the hole today) with an Optibeam
tribander and a shorty 40.  I would have preferred to get the 40m yagi
up a bit higher than 82 feet (counting the mast), but HFTA suggested
that going much higher than about 70 feet feet for the tribander would
not be so desirable.  70 foot for the tower seemed to be the best
compromise.

As it is, I'm probably going to fix mount a second antenna (either a
homebrew 15m yagi or a 2 element SteppIR) even lower on the tower to
fill in the notch for bands like 15m.

Westward is a different story for me.  The mountain range less than 1.5
miles to to the west rises up about 2000 feet higher than my QTH, and it
is amazing how difficult working the Pacific has become for me.  Most of
the time I might as well wrap a note around a rock and throw it your
direction.

73 es take care,
Dave   AB7E