[TowerTalk] Front-to-back / Front-to-rear

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 21 12:41:13 EST 2008

K4SAV wrote:
> David J Windisch wrote:
>
>> Depends on what the goal is, eg,  F/B never cracked a pileup.  73 Dave N3HE
>>

> Good point.  I never considered that he might be building a transmit
> antenna.  I thought it was for receiving only.
> Jerry, K4SAV

True enough.. however, once you've gotten to a certain point with a
given boomlength and number of elements, eking out that last 0.5 dB by
tweaking elements might be non-productive.  The design might be so picky
that the slightest deviation in dimensions, orientation, surroundings,
or frequency would lose all that carefully modeled gain.  One might
better invest the time and money in reducing other losses in the system
(e.g. feedlines, matching networks, line voltage variation to the PA, etc.)

Jim, W6RMK