[TowerTalk] Windload at 90 mph (was: Plumbing a tower)

W7CE w7ce at curtiss.net
Wed Jan 23 10:51:09 EST 2008

Thanks for the info.  I don't know as much about this as I'd like, but I'm
learning.  From your comments I assume that 20-26 lbs would apply to round
tower legs (Rohn 65G here) and typical yagi booms and elements.  Since I've
been using 36 lbs for my rough calculations, I should be sufficiently
over-designed :)  I live in a 90 mph area and don't want any mistakes.

Would a 2" diameter tower leg have more or less drag than a 1/2" element?  I
remember reading some info on this and seem to recall that the smaller
elements actually have more drag than the larger elements.

BTW, I'm sorry about the double post.  I realized that I sent the original
question using the wrong email account, so I resent it this morning from the
correct account figuring the other one would bounce.

73,
Clay  W7CE