[TowerTalk] Fw: Thrust bearing repair

David Branson KC0LL KC0LL at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 27 11:19:33 EST 2008

This looks just like a bearing on a Harley steering stem. Hard to see from the picture but it looks like a standard pressed on bearings.
Bearings of this type are pressed on by ONLY driving it on by the center race, (never push or hit on the outer race).
To get the bearing off you chisel out the cage holding the ball bearings in place. Once the cage is gone the bearings can be pushed to one side and the outer race will fall off. Then you can place the center race on an anvil and place a chisel on the center race and crack it open, it will push off then. Grinding one side thin with an angle grinder before putting using the chisel will help make it easier. Or, if you don't want to split it and have a way to heat the race fast ( like a cutting torch) you can heat it and try driving it off.

I have taken many bearings off shafts like this and they are not that hard to do.

David F. Branson

Senior Technician
Action Communications, Inc.
Tucson, AZ
520.792.0326
520.792.2709 fax
KC0LL at hotmail.com
http://www.kc0ll.net
http://www.ActionCommunications.com

Freedom isn't Free, Support our Troops
----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Wood
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2008 12:03 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing repair

Have Old Wilson tower and the thrust bearing at the bottom is damaged

http://rwood90.clearwire.net/bearing1.jpg

http://rwood90.clearwire.net/bearing2.jpg

How does one get the old bearing off the support shaft?

I can leave it on IF I find some fancy two piece bearing cover to replace
the broken one
but I doubt that.

73 W5AJ
reply   at arrl.net     Thanks!