[TowerTalk] 2 HAMS died in Kansas City

Michael Baker k7ddmjb at qwest.net
Mon Jul 14 19:42:13 EDT 2008

Hi gang,

	I just got through reading about this tragedy and a couple of
thoughts crossed my mind.  I share them will all of you and please, don't
shoot the messenger here. I am not pointing any fingers; that would be a bit
moot at this point.

	First thought.
	Why would any Ham live that close to a 7.6KV line?  Power line
noise?

	Second thought.
	Why the hell would I put up ANY antenna even remotely close enough
to come in contact with a 7.6KV line?
	Hell, I don't even want to be closer than several hundred feet from
a line like that.  I live about a quarter mile away from one even bigger but
I don't have power line noise from it and unless I had a balloon wire up a
long ways I could never come in contact with it.

	I dare say this confirms more than one old adage.

	Even smart people do dumb things.
	Some folks never learn from others mistakes.
	Common sense isn't as common as we think it is.
	No matter what our age, we all think we are invincible; until we
aren't.

	I do feel for the family and friends who have now lost two members
in one fell swoop.
	RIP brothers.

Michael Baker  K7DD
k7ddmjb at qwest.net