[TowerTalk] Is there a point of diminishing returns on gain for stacking ...

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Tue Jul 15 13:13:54 EDT 2008

Although there is a diminishing return from stacking, there is an advantage
in doing so for a different reason.  Since the stack is going higher,  the
angle for the major lobe is going down.

If an op decides to have a switching system to put the upper part of the
stack in an out, this "extra" part of the stack can be very effective in giving
some gain, but more importantly, a lower angle of radiation.

Back in Florida I had a six high stack of 6 element Yagis for 10 meters
ranging from 165 down to 27 feet.  When conditions were poor to EU the  extra
height and elements made a difference.  On the path to JA, the  signals were
always stronger to JA.  Of course the upper part of the stack  was taken out when
conditions were good or for most contacts in the US since the  angle generally
was too low.  Sometimes even the upper four were taken  out.  It was a
wonderful antenna system to use

I don't recommend the installation to the average op, but for the  contester,
who needs a little extra pop, it is worth considering.

Bill KH7XS/K4XS