[TowerTalk] Tower takedown

Floyd Rodgers kc5qbc at swbell.net
Wed Jul 16 11:49:53 EDT 2008

In most areas, only 3-4 feet are allowed to hang over the rear/front bumper or the locals start revenue distributon (tickets). Unless you have a rack on the truck that extends beyond the cab, you'll not be able to hang it out the back 11+ feet. What you would be better off doing is taking a look for the falling derrick procedure which has been metioned here in the archives to lower the tower. I would generally recommend only using the truck as an anchor point and doing the lowering work with a come-a-long from as high up the tower as practical assuming it has a tilt base. I would caution against using a manlift as a crane because it was not designed for that purpose. You might be able to swing it with a skilled operator and a number of contruction machines like a backhoe/track hoe or rough terrain forklift. Not knowing your skillset in contruction engineering, if it feels questionable at all, simply let a professional handle the takedown, the risks are
 just not worth it. Having taken down a FREE tower myself, which ended up costing nearly the full new cost, I will carefully consider the freebies before leaving the driveway. Any perceived posibility of an accident make it an instant "pass" for me.