[TowerTalk] Tower Dogs

Bill MacLane ai4wm at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 20:41:45 EDT 2008

Mike,
I had some similar thoughts about the getting drunk and climbing the next day.  Show was sort of disappointing.  Too much social bull and not enough climbing.  I wish they would have at least had some footage of someone working on some of the 800 ft, 1000 ft, and higher TV towers I have seen.

Real sketchy on the safety inspection portions also.

Doesn't anyone free climb any more?????

The cellular companies seem to pay cheap also.  When I worked in radio our tower climbers got more than that and their company about 3 or 4 times what the climbers got.

Until this thread started I never heard of Tower Dogs only Tower Jockeys or Pole Jockeys (lineman).

This show didn't show any guy wire sliding either.....

One thing I agree with is the hatred for climbing unipoles, masts or stepped utility poles.

73,
Bill
AI4WM