[TowerTalk] Faraday Cage

Dan Zimmerman N3OX n3ox at n3ox.net
Sun Jun 1 13:44:29 EDT 2008

>The idea of something less than the tightly closed
>copper mesh room still intrigues me - - IF the spacing is not too small.? Doorways and
>A/C ducts probably pose the biggest problem to a "cheapo" room.

You also have to consider the routing of cables "inside" the room.

Depending on where you put your wiring inside, even if it doesn't
"break the plane" of the mesh, it will pick up more or less signal
from the outside.  At a given frequency, the distance from the walls
will matter as will the exact places the wire ends inside.

Of course, a cable that actually enters through the wall is an
excellent conduit for energy to get inside, but even ones close to the
openings (in terms of a fraction of the opening size) will couple more
to the outside.

Dan