[TowerTalk] ANTENNA ANALYZER?

Robskel robskel at tx.rr.com
Mon Jun 2 09:21:41 EDT 2008

Hi Ronnie:
I have an AIM4170, and really like it. I do all my 'antenna tuning' from the
shack by calibrating the cables as described in the manual. I used it to
resonate my 80m half-sloper to 160m with a loading coil on the first try.
Found the R+jX values by using the 'referring to antenna' feature, then
designed a matching coil. Installed it and the 1820 kHz VSWR was 1.1:1!
I also like the ability to store and recall swept measurements and also to
print them out for future reference. I did have a bit of BC interference on
160m, but it was not major. By setting the sweep to make measurements every
few kHz I was able to interpolate out the small gliches caused by the BC
harmonics or inter-modulation products.
I have a SteppIR, and I have a record of the tuning for each band and at
each setting within the band. I also examined the sloper tuning as the
SteppIR is adjusted. It told me in  matter of a few minutes where to set the
SteppIR to resonate to different parts of the 80m band.
73s
Bob, W5LT