[TowerTalk] Shortening an M2 6M5-X

Carrington, Walter Walter.Carrington at umassmed.edu
Thu Jun 5 22:02:11 EDT 2008

I've just done something similar with my M2 6m7jhv 7 element 6 meter beam.
For a temporary setup I'm using just 4 of the 7 elements.  The SWR was terrible and I had given up until I remembered that my MFJ antenna tuner works on 6 meters.  With the tuner it has low SWR and works fairly well.  At 12' off the ground I've worked California, Nevada and Puerto Rico from Massachusetts in the last week.  If the band is open you can work a lot.  Directivity is not as good as the full beam,  but that can be advantage -- you don't have to rotate the beam as much and from New England we just need to aim southwest.
--Walter,  K1CMF