[TowerTalk] Vert. 1/2 wave dipole vs Hori. 1/2 wave dipole?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Jun 14 09:02:09 EDT 2008

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 09:37:56 +0200, Peter Voelpel wrote:

>The dipol always outperformed the vertical by at least 6dbs in any
>direction, on some signals the difference was approaching 10db.

The NEC model in the link I just posted shows why -- a vertical is
directional ONLY in the vertical plane, while a dipole is
directional in both horizontal and vertical planes. In other words,
the dipole can concentrate the power into the two broadside
directions.  Thus, the horizontal directivity of a dipole can make
up for the low vertical angle advantage of the vertical if the
dipole is high enough, and yours is high enough.

73,

Jim K9YC