[TowerTalk] Advice on Tower

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sun Jun 22 22:15:19 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/22/2008 9:01:56 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  Although no specific restrictions on height or style are  place on me by
the HOA or the deed modifications,  when I started the  process
I thought a US Tower MARB-550 would look very neighbor friendly and  be
easy to get buy in's by all.

>  I already have a base  for the tower in-place but I am a little concerned
as to the ratings for  the MARB when comparing a TX-455 style.

>  My Counties wind  rating is 70MPH, we have already seen 50MPH gusts
during a thunderstorm  recently.

Well, it doesn't even become a wind until it  hits 70 MPH, which is the
minimum rating in the US, so you don't have any  serious wind problems.

>  The tower is rated at 9 sq/ft at 70 MPH and 61#'s weight, the  specified
wind load by SteppIR is 8.1 sq/ft. at 58#'s  I would elect  to use the
rotating n base thus keeping the rotor at the bottom of the  tower and
reducing the extra weight and little load.

>  Now  the questions?

>  1.  Since I am almost right on top of  the spec's, wind load and weight,
should I abandon this Tower  selection.

    Just because your close to its limits? Just be  conservative, keep your
homeowner's insurance paid up and enjoy it.

    Or not. Maybe the psychological effect isn't  worth bearing. I'll never
discourage anyone from over-engineering their  installation.

>    a. As it now stands I have a 3'-6" x 3'- 6" x  6" concrete base with
rebar and mounting bolts per the US tower  spec's

>  2.  Is there a way to adapt any type of   rotating guy device to this
type of tower?

No. It's not designed for one. Any guy tension  will come out as additional
load on the tower cables - a BIG possibly fatal  negative.

>  3.  I would also like to hear from SteppIR - US Tower  users with similar
setups.

    SteppIRs work great no matter what they're  mounted on.

>  Maybe I can improve on the ratings by not  keeping the Tower raised to
the maximum height unless I am chasing some DX  expedition or am I dreaming?

You're not  dreaming. Tower capacity increases with reduced height. That's
the  main way of being conservative.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH