[TowerTalk] Yaesu 2800 in Rohn 25 & replacing bolts in place

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Jun 24 01:58:22 EDT 2008

ac9s at mchsi.com wrote:
> Two items -
>
> 1) I just swapped a Yaesu 2800 for my HamIV in Rohn 25.  There was plenty of
> space in the 25AG4 top section.  This is the top section with no Z bracing in
> the top two cross braces.  When I asked the question (of a 2800 in 25G) of
> this group there were a number of responders who felt it wouldn't fit.  I just
> wanted to let everyone know there is plenty of space - at least on this
> particular top section.  It will not fit in a straight section - the z brace
> interfers.
>
> 2) Question - I noticed the leg bolts are getting a little rusty on the 25G.
> Can I replace these in place a bolt at a time with new ones or is there two
> much downward force,
Replacing them one-at-a-time should work fine as long as the other bolts
fit and are tight.  IF the bolts have deteriorated a bit, use a taper
pin punch in the adjacent hole to get the proper hole alignment.  ROHN
says "Never drill out the holes to fit the bolts." You use the taper pin
punch to open up the holes just enough for the bolts to fit.

Good Luck,

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)