[TowerTalk] Delta Loop compared to Dipole (actual experience)

Robert Hess w1rh at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 22:28:58 EDT 2008

John,

I have had terrific luck with loops over dipoles.  Although there is some gain involved with the loop, depending on orientation, the big difference is noise and the loop wins big-time.  They are very quiet antennas.

At my former QTH, near Boston, where I had to compete with the really big YCCC guns, my 80 meter, full-wave-vertical-rectangular-loop was just awesome on 40 meters.  I can't tell you how many times I could beat out the big guns when calling a rare mult.  I also "felt" very "loud" on 40 when running Eu's.  The 80 meter loop has a 4-leaf clover pattern, but when oriented correctly (in my case with one lobe at 30 degrees or so) it plays very well.  The loop I built was 40 feet vertical and 100 feet horizontal, hung from two pine trees at about the 60 foot level.  At the lowest point, it was only 15 feet above ground.  It also performed well on 80.

At my current W6 QTH, I have an 80 meter full wave delta loop.  Not quite as high above ground at the high point, but I do live on a hill that drops 1000 feet vertical in 3500 feet horizontal.  It also plays very well on 40 (and 80) but I plan on playing around with different wire antennas (and maybe some vertical arrays) on 80 and 40 from this hilltop location.

Both loops were/are fed with 600 ohm ladder line, using a Johnson Matchbox.  I run the legal limit.

Both loops perform OK on all other bands, but can't compete with the beams.  I rarely use my loop on the bands above 30 meters.

Bob
W1RH