[TowerTalk] Loop vs Dipole...I'm original "asker"

fraz1 fraz1 at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 25 20:51:06 EDT 2008

I see some of the self declared techie types are concerned about my motives for asking the question in the first place.  So be it.  I suggest that many of the answers posted are of benefit to others reading the "reflector".

Yes, I am aware of physics and science, and ( geesh) even have experience in modeling antennas.  When you are talking a gain of 2 or less DB and modeled front/back to side nulls of about the same value, actual experience helps.  If the antennas I was considering had modeled gains and F/B ratios from 4-6, and 15-20 DB,  either antenna would probably be worth a try.  At modeled values in the 2 or less DB range, I was simply trying to find out if actual experience justified the effort of a loop over a dipole.

 I received input from guys using both antennas for short haul rag chewing and from guys using it for DX only, and some for both.  They usually tell how it is configured.  I find it all useful information.   As some noted, my question was specific to use on 40 and 20 meters.

I now have some additional info to use in making a decision on which antenna and configuration to experiment with.  Thanks to those who kindly shared their experience.  For those who want to carry the thread forward.....great.

73 John K4NP  (only licensed for 47 years with all current DXCC entities worked)