[TowerTalk] Shunt-fed tower

David J. Sourdis hk1kxa at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:43:23 EDT 2008

Hello all,

We are preparing a 22m tower, with Explorer 14 on top, for shunt-feed. We are working on the ground system.

Our
shack and tower are within limits of a 8m x 8m area, a 1m high concrete
block wall sets the perimeter and on top this wall there is a fence up
to the 2m level, this fence is not grounded. One meter away from the
east side there is a similar perimeter (8m x 6m)  belonging to a cell
phone provider. With a shelter and a  22m tower, 1m x 1m section. Of
course, the tower is grounded same as their fence on each corner. The
tower is about 8m away from ours.

For ground/radial system we
are laying a galvanized fence on the floor inside the perimeter and
around our tower,  some pieces of fence will be laid outside the
perimeter to some extent and then radials will be laid for the rest.

We
are thinking about taking advantage (or disadvantage) of the grounded
fence of our neighbor, conecting it to the fence laid outside on the
ground. Of course, the other tower will modify the RF behavior of our
shunt-fed, connecting or not connecting our ground system with theirs.
What would be better regarding the RF (liability issue is obvious if CW is heard in the cellphones, hi hi),
connect the two ground systems or not? My opinion is that if connected
together, we would have a 22m vertical radial  parallel to our
radiating tower.

Regarding the radials, some will be laid on a
surface with trees (mostly pines) with lots of dry leaves, radials are
made of insulated copper wire. Is there danger of fire because of the
high voltage at the tips? If so, is it enough to cover the tips with
tape? Or bury the tips in the ground? Radials are copper wire, shall we
take precautions against galvanic corrosion if the copper is connected
directly to the galvanized material?

73's

David
HK1KXA