[TowerTalk] lighting protection setup

Rick Stealey rstealey at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 27 17:01:55 EDT 2008

> static buildup on the wire dipole itself, resulting in a spark jumping
> across the end of the coax connector (from pin to shield) inside the
> shack.

My six meter antenna is an M Squared 5 element beam.  The coax has a Polyphaser arrestor at the base of the tower.  Recently I heard the type of noise you described, during a rain.  Every 2-5 secs a pop.  Do you think that was "rain static" or the gas tube in the Polyphaser conducting?
I have measured one of them.  They conduct at 800 volts and clamp the voltage at about 300v.

Rick  K2XT