[TowerTalk] Wind Loading question ...

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Sat Jun 28 00:14:39 EDT 2008

Good evening power tower people --

How much wind loading should one anticipate if he one intends
to erect a 50 foot self supporting tower?  For example,  holding
a fairly large triband yagi beam,  a medium sized vertical, and maybe
an 80 meter dipole - all hanging off that  50 foot supporting tower.

I Understand it will ultimately depend on which particular antennas
one selects, but what would be a general, basic number to consider?

I am thinking that sized self-supporting tower should hold at least
20 square feet of wind loading  and, perhaps, 35 to 40 pounds of
antenna weight.  That would, I believe, give one sufficient latitude
to pick among several good sized antennas for the job.

Again, I understand and acknowledge I am only  looking for a
general guideline,  and it would be easier to specify the antennas,
and then specify that power to hold them.   Nevertheless, I am
just trying to get a handle on towers in general, and wonder whether
this a reasonable assumption -- or am off  the mark.

Thank you.     Happy trails and 73.    ----  Richards - K8JHR ----