[TowerTalk] Help with putting a 52SS on a Rohn 25 foundation

chasm at texas.net chasm at texas.net
Sun Jun 29 20:04:04 EDT 2008

The Rohn is sitting in the ideal and practically ONLY place on my city
lot here in NW Houston.  I have just taken delivery of a used Hygain
52' and want to cut the Rohn off about 4 to 6" above the concrete.

My idea is to obtain some 1" bolts or whatever fits inside the tubes
and push them down a couple or three feet into the foundation.
These are the same concrete cage bolts with the L shaped end which is
suspended in fresh pour within the cage.  I will simply have the bent
ends cut off so they can be pushed down into the tubes.  3 ft sounds
better.

I will then place a 3/8" to 1/2" plate of steel already drilled with
holes, on the bolts and lock the plate down.

Then weld the ears from the old foundation (they were cut off the ends
  of some 1" rebar and they still have that rebar attached) to the
plate -- all of that not necessarily in that order.

I think that this will make as strong a foundation as the Instruction
Manual calls for.  a B-22 T-plate with ears would be nice as I could
weld that onto the installed 1/2" plate  - but I cannot find one.

I do not want to dig up the Rohn foundation - I know from experience
of being a Sign inspector in another life, that you have to dig your
new hole another 12" larger in diameter in order to ensure you are
getting into solid soil.  besides, I think that what I have is quite
sufficient.

however, any ideas or suggestions or doing this???

In the meantime, I have ordered a gallon of Kroil <G> and am getting
ready to ship the two Ham IV rotators and controllers off to Norm for
refurbishing.  Those were tossed into the deal along with a TA-33 and
a Cush A3S.  plus a bunch of other stuff.  already got a buyer for one
rotator, etc which will knock about half of the cost of the tower off.

would appreciate any source for the B-22 T plate   and better
suggestions for installing the tilt base on the Rohn foundation.

thanks
73 de chas/k5dam
Houston