[TowerTalk] arboreal yagis

jim Jarvis jimjarvis at optonline.net
Sat Mar 22 08:22:38 EDT 2008

Hi Doug,

The best bet is NOT to mount the yagi directly to the tree.
Whatever you do will damage the tree.

Instead,  use light duty tower alongside the tree, and fasten them
together loosely, using chain which is inside tygon tubing.   Given
the gnarly
shape of most trees, there will be perhaps 3 or 4 points at which the
tower
is adjacent to the tree.   When you fasten the chain,  you want some
wiggle room,
both to prevent girdling the tree, and to allow the tree to move
without moving
the yagi (as much).

You can more safely climb this tower than you can the tree, and you
can more
safely install and maintain the yagi.  This also has the benefit of
being somewhat
more aesthetic than a naked tower.

I've also done this with a vertical and a pushup pole, although it
required tree
cliimbing, which I stopped doing some years ago.

73/N2EA

Jim Jarvis, MBA
President-Executive Coach
The Morse Group, LLC