[TowerTalk] Rohn 45 55 anti climb

Daron Wilson daron at wilson.org
Sat Mar 29 21:31:18 EDT 2008

>Daron;
>Since these plates are "ANTI CLIMB SHEETS', by definition they have no
>designed or functional electrical purpose. These are for SAFETY, to
restrict
>climbing of the tower by unauthorized persons. Therefore any method of
>assembly should be OK as long as the tower is  completely covered on all 3
>sides the entire length of the sheets. The electrical engineer should not
>concern himself with non electrical safety issues.

The engineer's responsibility to the customer is to provide a safe,
functional system.  It is his responsibility to make sure that the tower,
grounding, bonding, electronics, etc. is all installed per manufacturers
specifications and applicable codes.  The tower base is installed per an
(engineered) specification from the manufacturer.  If I installed the base
with less concrete or steel, it would not meet spec, and the engineer would
not accept it.  Pretty straight forward.   Now I deliver the anti climb
sheets, and yes I know what they are designed to do.  I'm not in the habit
of installing floating pieces of steel around a tower without them being
electrically bonded to the tower ground.  We generally don't like floating
pieces of (resonant) material, we bond everything.

"any method of assembly should be OK" is the kind of thing that gets one in
trouble.  Trust me, if left without installation instructions, someone could
easily drill the screws into the legs of the tower or something.  I'm quite
sure that drilling into the tower to attach these for example would NOT be
an accepted method of assembly by the manufacturer.  So...my original
question was had anyone installed them and what did they do to do so?  I
appreciate the alternative ideas...but was asking for the proper method for
this product.

Thanks,

Daron N7HQR