[TowerTalk] 131 ft Crankup Tower

Dan Hearn dhearn at air-pipe.com
Mon Mar 31 23:58:48 EDT 2008

Several people have asked to see a photo of my UST 131 ft crankup. Three
were built originally for K7ZV, N5AR, and I believe N6BU. It has several
unusual features.
1. It uses 3 lift cables between each section, one on each face, rather than
1 as in other crankups. This causes it to lift very smoothly and is an
additional safety factor.
2. It has a microprocessor with digital readout of height.
3. It has a anemometer on the top section and will lower if a preset wind
level occurs.
4. Each section is 30 ft rather than 20 ft as in most other crankups.
  I do not know if others have been built since ours in 2001. It will
shortly have 40m and 30m yagi above the 6el 20.
You can see pictures of it at http://www.sdxa.org/?p=174

73, Dan, N5AR