[TowerTalk] PL-259 to N Female Adapter on a Comet GP-9 Antenna

n2oelspears at aol.com n2oelspears at aol.com
Mon May 19 08:21:30 EDT 2008

I am trying to install a Comet GP-9 Antenna using LMR-400 Coax that has N Males on each end.? I bought the Antenna from a reputable local dealer.? I asked him for a Comet GP-9N, but, he did not have one in stock.? He told me it would be no problem to use a PL-259 to N Female Adapter, and he gave me one? to use? on the antenna.

I? installed the adapter by tightening it firmly, and then firmly connected the LMR-400 cable.? When I tried to? waterproof the cable with coax seal, the adapter broke.? The PL-259 ring separated from the body.? I assumed I had tightened the adapter too tight.? I obtained another adapter, and tried again.? This time I carefully finger tightened the PL-259 ring.? I finger tightened the N Male, and started to wrap the coax seal.? The adapter broke again.? I figured out that it was due to the stiffness of the LMR-400.? The leverage of the stiff cable rips the adapter apart.? Doe anyone have any ideas for a fix?

The package brags that the GP-9 antenna is rated for 200 watts. As an omni-directional antenna, it is obviously aimed at FM Simplex and Repeater users.? However, the instruction sheet rates it at 200 watts SSB, not FM.? It was my impression that SSB ratings are about 4 times that of a AM or FM rating. I would then assume that a 200 watt SSB rating would give a maximum FM power rating of about 50 watts.? Am I correct in this assumption?

I asked the US Distributor that type of question via email.? Their reply email is below.? The only change I made in copying this email, was in my changing my email address to protect me against spam.