[TowerTalk] " Most Connectors sold to Hams " rant

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed May 21 09:43:19 EDT 2008

john.brewer at us.schneider-electric.com wrote:
> Someone really needs to calm down some.  It's a connector for hobby applications for heavens
> sake.    Hams, like consumers in general , vote with their pocketbook.  It's a rather
> patronizing attitude that simply because one takes the hobby to the level where only Amphenol
> quality connectors will do, then the rest of the ham population is purchasing out of
> "ignorance".  There's nothing wrong with a properly assembled bakelite dielectric 259 for
> example,  ...hams used them for decades without problems, and continue to do so.

That's actually a phenolic dielectric, I believe.  In any case, it's a
thermosetting resin, not thermoplastic, which makes a huge difference
when soldering.

It's not the venerable 1950s designs that folks are complaining about,
but newer versions, say using polyethylene (which melts on soldering) as
the dielectric, or using low quality plating, or poor dimensional
tolerances.  None of these latter were particularly common in 1950.

> It might be more accurate to say "Most connectors sold to hams fully meet their requirements of
> casual hobby application and the associated budget for same".

Or, hams' expectations in terms of quality vs price are not necessarily
realistic for new merchandise, often being based on very low prices for
surplus components in history (e.g. tons of PL-259s made to federal
procurement standards).  Eventually, the surplus goes away, but the
going price for surplus (usually < 1/10th new) sets a new price target
for new manufacture, and to hit it requires some compromises.