[TowerTalk] Length of balanced line

steve kw3a at snip.net
Thu May 22 14:27:29 EDT 2008

Hello TT,

Question is how to figure the length of balanced line between antenna and
remote balun.

Here is the setup:  3 band dipole, full size for 40, and shortened with 2
sets of coils for 80 and 160.    Overall length is 124 ft. Made by Hy-power
antennas, but similar to those made by Alpha Delta and the old W9inn.
Currently fed with 100 ft. of Davis Bury Flex coax.   As you might guess,
bandwidth is narrow on 160 and 80, and I am always tweaking the manual tuner
to keep the solid state amp  happy swr wise.  A new high power auto tuner
makes tuning a snap, but I'm  finding some matching problems  and am
thinking about going to balanced line and remote balun.

Already own a DX Engineering 1:1 balun designed for this purpose.  DXE and
other sources say that the balanced line should be 1/8 wavelength or odd
multiple on the lowest desired freq.   Does this formula still apply with a
loaded, shortened dipole such as this?

No access to an analyzer, and being blind, it wouldn't be much help anyway.
Most of what I do in this hobby is trial and error, and I'll do the same
here, but I'd like to get started in the right ballpark.

73 and tnx for all the info I've gotten here over the years,

Steve KW3A