[TowerTalk] G5RV vs Vertical for DXing

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu May 22 19:56:49 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/22/2008 9:02:28 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  My 20-10m mini yagi was damaged recently in a storm, so I am  looking for a
short term replacement-or at least until we get some decent  sunspots.  I
currently have up a homebrew G5RV type antenna with the  center around 30
feet and the ends sloping down slightly.  I use this  on 160-30m, and did use
it for a couple of years on the higher bands with  decent results.

>  Now here is my question, in terms of just  20-10m performance, how would a
roof mounted triband vertical, like the  Hy-Gain 12AVQ compare to the G5RV in
performance?  The vertical would  be mounted around 20 feet high, with 4
radials per band.  Would the  vertical be worth the extra money, or would the
performance be so similar  (or even better on the G5RV) that I should just
save the money and effort  and forget the vertical?

    Actually I'd do both. In any instance, one of the  antennas will play
better than the other. The key to ham radio success in my  book is having a
CHOICE of antennas; e.g. different angles, different  directions, different
polarization, etc.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH