[TowerTalk] Tower Ground Question

Richardson, Ed ERichardson at winnipeg.ca
Wed May 28 14:20:37 EDT 2008

Just getting set to pour the foundation for my new tower - finally. I am
not sure in which manner to proceed with the final grounding step.

I have tied my rebar all together securely, ran a #2 cable all around
the four sides of the cage just to make sure there is continuity across
the corners.

My first and preferred option was going to be to install a #2 solid
tinned Cu cable from each tower leg through the concrete to the closest
rebar side and continue out of the concrete below ground level to the
nearest ground rod. There will be three ground rods spaced about 6 feet
from the tower all connected together with 1.5" Cu strap ring.

The second option recommended on a couple web sites is to connect the
rebar in the concrete out the concrete below ground to the nearest
ground rod and run a second cable above ground from the tower leg just
above the concrete to the ground rod.

Is there a preference to either option? What have others done?

Ed, VE4EAR