[TowerTalk] LMR400 vs BuryFlex

Rudy Bakalov r_bakalov at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 21:44:33 EDT 2008

Hello all,

  As I am getting closer to having the new tower and antennas go up, questions that I have never considered in the past keep on coming up.  One of them is the choice of coax.

  As the title suggests, I am trying to decide between LMR400 and BuryFlex.  I estimate that I will need a total of 1000' to connect all 4 beams, the phasing lines, 2 cables to the shack, etc.  The max distance between an antenna and the shack will be less than 300' (or 0.3db loss).

  I like the LMR400 option due to its lower cale loss and cost.  However, I don't understand the practical impact of the fact that LMR400 is NOT non-contaminating- is there going to be any impact from bundling cables, attaching them to the tower legs, etc.?  The cables will go in a PVC conduit between the tower and the shack.

  I do recognize the difference in flexibility (and its applicability to rotating antennas) and my solution is to have a 10' BuryFlex attached to each yagi, followed by whatever length of LMR400. I have to install Polyphaser coax in-line protectors anyway and I will install them between the 10' BuryFlex and LMR400 sections.

  Any thoughts?  The difference in cost is about $150 at 1000'

  Thanks,

  Rudy N2WQ