[TowerTalk] LMR400 vs BuryFlex, Response DAVIS RF, Designer of Bury-Flex ^^

Steve Davis -Davis RF Co. sdavis at davisrf.com
Thu May 29 11:05:53 EDT 2008

Hi Rudy,
Possibly this will help you and others:  We sell  LMR, and also  Bury-Flex Tm, which I designed over 10 years ago.   Bury Flex Tm has become one of our best sellers and is bought by many hams as well as NASA, Lockheed Martin, SPAWAR, etc., as our core business is commercial.

  Outer jacket on both:  Polyethylene ("PE") of very similar if not virtually the same chem. composition, 400 and Bury-Flex.  If you are also thinking of LMR-400 UF (ultra flex), that outer jacket is TPR, not PE, and will not last as long as PE in UV.  TPR, on avg. in USA might be 15-18 yr life, approx, whereas quality PE will go at least 25 yr and more.
   Attenuation and MUF:  Although Times spec is 16 GHz, and not to chide them as they do a great job, we don't recommend it over 8 GHz, for various reasons.  Bury-Flex Tm:  I don't recommend it over 3 GHz.   For up to 3 GHz, both attenuations are very close to each other.  For HF, not even worth comparing, virtually the same.
   Flexibility:  Bury Flex definitely has it over LMR 400 and is only a slight perception less flex than Ultra Flex 400....again, not a distinctive difference.

NOTE:  the TPR jacket of Ultra Flex ("UF") is not nearly as good for low-friction to metal, i.e., to the tower, etc.  In fact, Bury Flex is EXCELLENT for a coil around the tower for crank ups.  UF is not.
   Pricing:  We have quite low pricing on LMR 400  and UF  (presently .81 avg for Bury Flex vs. .75/ft LMR 400    (400 UF is $ 1.13)   List on 400 is .88 and 400 UF is 1.33)    Prices can vary periodically primarily due to copper fluctuations and mfr. price changes.
   PE  vs. TPR or PVC:   PE is relative rodent resistant, a strong application point for many hams.  This is why we were first to convert our control cables (not all) for rotators, etc., to PE outer jackets.  And the cost difference is minimal.
Bottom line:  PE is much tougher (higher durometer) than PVC or TPR. You will quickly learn this when cutting into a PE jkt with a new razor blade:  PVC will be like butter, PE much tougher (but not a pain if you use a sharp safety razor), thus  PE is much more abrasion resistant , and can be laid thru ponds/rivers, etc..... PVC can not be as so, it is only "moisture resistant"...not "water proof" (varies with mfrs., some mfrs ref. their PE to be "highly moisture resistant")

   My strict advice over the years:  don't "skimp, save a dime, etc." on your
cable and connectors.  It is not worth the hassle of repair/replace in the middle of winter, up a tower, in the middle of that contest or contact with rare DX.  Your best system results/success, as all members of this forum know, is first with the antenna system, working back from there.  Lastly, make SURE that your connectors are installed properly (we can do that for you if you are of many who can't stand the process, N, BNC, UHF, etc etc)  AND that they are sealed extremely well from the elements (again "moisture proof" vs. "water proof", doesn't hack it in my book...needs to be "water proofed").....plenty of archive info on TT ref this subject.

Bury-Flex has been extremely popular over the years with hams, and the commercial biz.  But again, we have excellent prices on LMR types, same to next day shipment 99% of time on either (tend to have back orders occasionally on Bury Flex) and excellent customer service...we smile, never blasé....HI

 Soon to be released to TT, etc:  I have promised many of you the following, now done and just in line to get onto the site (I can't respond to email requests for this now, will let you know when on DavisRF.com:   Decision criteria for choosing between various options of 1/2" and 7/8" OD Hard line... all product options avail, and which give similar electrical/mechanical results:  one fairly new product which is a DISTINCT cost savings in the 7/8", equal performance  to LDF5 (Now AVA5) Andrew Heliax product.

  I will check with Steve to see if I can attached is a spec to a TT submission ( ref. Bury-Flex Tm), also will be on DavisRF.com I hope in near future (many site priorities).

    Please support your dealers who know what they are doing, are there for you, and not simply clerical reps who dispense price per part #.   There is a lot to be said for "you get what you pay for".

As usual, feel free to contact me with any question or input you can share with me...always welcomed.

  Cheers, Steve   K1PEK
  978-369-1738
~ Davis RF Co., Div. of Orion Wire Co.,Inc.
Distribution to numerous industries,  Andrew
Heliax; Times Microwave LMR; RFS Celwave and others.
Cable design engineering. RF Peripherals.
www.davisRF.com
Tel: 1-800-328-4773 (1-800-DAVIS RF) Tech'l: 1-978-369-
1738, Fax: 1-978-369-3484

~ DAVIS/ORION Marine Wire and Cable Co., Distribution and Design: UL/USCG Marine Stds.  Tel: 877-242-2253  Fax: 603-787-2221 (Direct tel to Steve Davis: 978-369-1738 or Fax: 978-369-3484)

~Orion Wire Co., Inc., Design Engineers of Specialty/Custom Cable
Tel: 1-800-328-4773, 1-603-787-2200 Fax 1-603-787-2221,
email: j_stimson at davis-orionwiregroup.com
www.davisRF.com

Tel:  978-369-1738     Fax:  978-369-3484
NOTE: Please include all past email history with all followup emails until your order or inquiry is complete. Thank you.

Steve Davis, Jeff Stimson and the staff of the

        DAVIS/ORION Group of Companies
Where Customer Satisfaction is our Premier Goal

email: j_stimson at davis-orionwiregroup.com
www.davisRF.com