[TowerTalk] Rebar

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu May 29 14:33:26 EDT 2008

I could be wrong, but I don't think it is the water infiltration by
itself that causes the problem.  Concrete is inherently porous and there
are typically thousands of microcracks in it anyway.  In the open, steel
progressively rusts in the presence of moisture because iron oxide
requires a significantly greater volume than the iron beneath it,
causing the oxide flakes away from the iron which then exposes more bare
iron.  Some oxides are somewhat self-limiting, but iron oxide isn't one
of them.  When contained within  an envelope of concrete, however, rebar
is semi-protected from rusting by the high alkalinity of the cement.  I
believe the problem with the larger cracks is that where they reach the
rebar, the steel is no longer "protected" by the alkalinity of the
cement at that spot and the steel is free to rust and expand, making the
problem progressive.

73,
Dave   AB7E