[TowerTalk] new member with tower question

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Thu May 29 23:07:05 EDT 2008

I am at the same stage, talking to the local tower installer
but, in my case, I am worried that he is poorly informed.
He wants to sell me a tower than can only hold about
6 to 8 sq ft wind load, and I figure I should have one that
holds up to 20 sq ft wind load to be sure I can put
something substantial up on it.

I am trying to get information from the manufacturers
and their  engineers to get definitive information.  I am
worried that the installer will put up a TV tower, and
not a ham tower, or has in mind something for 2 meters
and not for 20 and 40 meters.

As a retired lawyer, I am plenty aware of the liability risk,
want to be sure to put up plenty of tower.  In your case, you
have a much more difficult time doing that because of your
unusual soil and bedrock.   I want to place as much responsibility
on the tower manufacturer and the installer - and I figure the
best way to do that is to get them to design the beast.  One
reason I asked my question is I would not be surprised if
the mfr declined to give you the answers you need because
you have such an unusual situation.

Good luck.  Very interesting question you have posed.