[TowerTalk] new member with tower question

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri May 30 10:29:53 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----

Well, there is that...

>>> Since this will be done in an enclosed area of yard that is only 40x40
>>> FT, the three guy pipes will be placed so that they are sunk 5 FT into
>>> the ground and extend 5 FT above the ground. We want to use 4" oil well
>>> drill pipe for this. We can find the pipe because any piece with a crack
>>> has to be discarded and they go to scrap.
>>>

>> Of course, that crack indicates a failure of the pipe, no?  (unless you're talking about taking a 20 ft stick with a crack at one end and chopping a section out of the middle?)
>>

>True. The wall of the pipe is 3/4" thick and the cracks are hairline and
>discovered by X-ray (thanks Halliburton), I was told. I have yet to
>inspect one of these to find the facts. Might be bogus info.

Even if the pipe is 3/4" wall, the bending loads are huge in this sort of thing, you need to calculate some stuff to see if it's going to work.  4" is pretty small.. you've got a 5 ft lever arm, so the the mechanical advantage is 15:1.  A 1000lb load on a guy wouldn't be unusual, and that turns into a 15000lb load on the steel at the base.

You could also test it get a 10 foot length supported on two blocks, put a big weight in the middle and see if it bends.  The other thing is that if it bends, that's a failure from a structural analysis standpoint, but it's not like the tower collapses.

>I trust that a 25FT pole embedded 5' in the ground will be OK to support
>an end of a dipole without the engineer's approval :-) (not to open
>another can of worms)

why sure.. that's just a flagpole, eh?