[TowerTalk] my long lightning story (was RE: lightning strike)

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Fri May 30 11:50:37 EDT 2008

I didn't carefully read the whole thing, too long. But some observations:

A crank up tower is very hard to ground as there is no good connection
between the tower sections so your cables are prone to carrying a great
portion of the strike energy if the tower is hit.

I didn't see where you described the ground system at the shack that the
single point ground is connected to. It needs to be extensive, many ground
rods and radials and a very short connection with 6" or wider copper strap
to the bulkhead panel (the single point of the ground system).

I notice that you said that you run a ground wire, that is rather long, over
to the power and phone line entrance.
For maximum protection you should run your power (by a cable within the
house is fine) over to the single point ground bulkhead and place power line
protection devices directly on the bulkhead panel. Feed all equipment ONLY
from that power source.
Do the same with the phone lines to the panel.

Now you will have a "true" single point ground system that will hold all
equipment to the same potential.

The trick to a good single point ground system is zero length between all
leads feeding your equipment from outside sources. Also a very short,
extensive ground at the single point.

73
Gary  K4FMX