[TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease

Peter Voelpel df3kv at t-online.de
Sun Nov 2 01:25:31 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of K7LXC at aol.com
Sent: Freitag, 31. Oktober 2008 13:47
To: towertalk at contesting.com; draxfelton at gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease

In a message dated 10/30/2008 8:57:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  Could someone recommend what puller tool I would need to  beg,
> borrow,
or buy to pull a thrust bearing apart with to re-pack it with  grease?
I'm not that familiar with bearings or whether the tool used  for
automotive bearings that a mechanic might have would work or not.   I'm
talking about a thrust bearing that in all is maybe 6 inches  wide.

    Not enough information. What kind of thrust  bearing? Manufacturer?
Material - steel or aluminum? Is it a machine shop  pillow block bearing
(square mounting plate)? Did it come with a tower?

    If the bearing actually needs greasing, then  there will probably be a
zerk grease fitting on it. If there isn't, then it  probably doesn't need
greasing. Typical ham thrust bearings (e.g. Rohn  TB-3, Yaesu) are aluminum
and don't need grease.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH

5 Travel Deals!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212416248x1200771803/aol?redir=htt
p://travel.aol.com/discount-travel?ncid=emlcntustrav00000001)