[TowerTalk] Outdoor Coax Issue

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 2 07:28:04 EST 2008

Ri

> Can I just bury this about six inches down without worry?

Are you subject to electrical codes? Or, more to the point, do you want
to be code compliant?  If so, you'll have to bury it substantially
deeper. You'll have to check your local rules, but in general, there's
one depth for unprotected cables, another for cables in conduit, and yet
another when there's concrete over the top of it.

> If so, Do I need to pull it up and replace it in X years... and
> if so, can you solve for X?   What is the useful life of this
> type of coax?

If you DO have to pull it up, that's when having some conduit makes life
a LOT easier.  A run of 3" conduit with nice sweep bends at the end is
easy to pull coax through. Easy to pull the coax out part way to check
the condition too. Plastic electrical conduit isn't all that expensive,
and since you have to dig the ditch anyway...

I wouldn't obsess about the water in the conduit thing.  Your conduit
will be water tight where it's underground, so the way water gets in is
through "breathing" and atmospheric moisture condensing.  If air can get
it for condensation, air can get in to evaporate it too.

By the way.. whatever you wind up doing, take an antenna analyzer or
similar, and make a bunch of measurements of the loss of the coax at
various frequencies.  That way, when your receiver seems deaf or the Tx
isn't getting out, you can recheck the coax without having to dig it up
or pull it out.