[TowerTalk] Outdoor Coax Issue

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Nov 2 16:42:55 EST 2008

Doug Turnbull wrote:
> Outdoor Cable Issue.
>
> 	I have both a comment and a question.   I wonder why people do not
> use 50/75 mm (2/3 inch) drainage pipe.   This pipe is perforated along its
> length and both admits and allows water to flow out.   Because it is used in
> quantity the price is normally pretty low.   I would imagine it take work to
> put in but would certainly not stay water logged unless your ground is
> always saturated.
>
>     How quickly does standard RG213 rot out in the soil.

It doesn't unless the soil has either a very high or very low PH.
It should last far longer underground than out in the elements unless
the soil is stony or gets a lot of traffic right over the coax.
>  I plan to put in
> a K9AY about 250 feet from the shack and need to run control and coax back.
> It is recommended though not required to bury the coax in order to cut
> interaction with the 160M transmit antenna.   It might not be such a bad
> thing to replace the coax after three years if it would last that long.
> For that matter I have some twenty-five year old RG213 on its original drum.

If it's name brand, unless it's been subjected to high temperatures
and/or humidity it 's probably almost as good as it was when it arrived.

73

Roger (K8RI)