[TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Mon Nov 3 16:36:04 EST 2008

Doug -- Thank you, as your post proves my point.

Yes, of course it is only my opinion.   We all have opinions around
here, and they all have varying relative merit.   Mine suffer more than
most at times from ignorance and novelty as a relative newcomer.

You are correct this has been debated on this reflector numerous
times, but I believe the CONSENSUS is that (in most cases) adding
guy wires to a self supporting tower is contraindicated.   (The usual
argument being that it adds extra downward force not anticipated
in the original design.)

The fact YOUR tower is an exception does not defeat the general
rule.    I doubt you intend to suggest the converse - i.e., that guy
wires are always a good idea on self-supporting towers....

Yet, your comment is instructive and illustrates my point completely:
That one should consult the manufacturer and follow its specifications,
and not just do what other operators might suggest.   In your case,
asking the manufacturer proves your tower runs counter to the
general rule.   Still, it proves the value of asking the mfr what is
best for its particular product design.

Which is the point I was making.

N.B. >   [ None of this is intended to denigrate or belie the
        	value of asking our friends and colleagues what they
	would recommend... it just means one should ALSO
	inquire of the manufacturer in order to be fully
	informed - especially where it	might entail the possibility
	one would substitute a different part or method from
	what is originally specified. ]

Thank you.   Happy trails and Good DX to ya.