[TowerTalk] Guying a self-supporter

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 7 13:28:44 EST 2008

Lou Tristao built a series of CTL towers for many years (also sold as Mosley
towermasters) that were designed to be guyed towers.  I remember that we
used one of the 50 footers on Field day years ago.
The largest of these were 105 foot CTL 500.

When I purchased my 71 foot self supporting in 1969 he added support blocks
and guy rings for me
as we had discussed that the tower was in the gulf coast area with high
possible winds.  It must be cranked up all the way up for the sections to
lock in the support blocks.  For the first three years I did not guy the
tower but would crank it down.  That is a real chore so when I moved to
Atlanta I started guying the tower.  I have been thru 3 nearby tornados and
two hurricanes with 90 mph winds (Opal and Ivan).  The rotor and beams took
the brunt of the damage but the tower is still OK after 35+ years.  I have
replaced the winch with a bigger Fulton 2550 and all of the wire rope (the
bottom section 3 times).

What Lou told me is that the big base is what really holds it up and the
guys just keep it vertical so it does not fall.  He though the support
blocks were un-necessary but added them on the advice of his insurance.  You
do not need to tighten the guys as you would with say Rohn sections just
make them tight.  I use Rohn guying kits and hardware. In addition, I pin
the second section on a leg in the bottom to remove all the weight from the
wire rope.

IN any case do not climb the tower unless you pin the bottom of each section
after cranking it down!

I think this is in the archives as I described this back about 1995.

Dave K4JRB