[TowerTalk] trylon 72 foot tower

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Mon Nov 10 09:38:32 EST 2008

I hear tell shunt feeding a tower is difficult and there may be
better ways to get on the bottom bands.

I would figure out how the Hy-Gain folks load up the Hi-Tower
AV-18HT - it is, I think, more like an end-loaded Inverted L than
actually shunt feeding the tower, but I suspect that is easier and
may work better anyway  (my guess, anyway)  -- I suppose you
could get their 160 meter add-on kit and just add it to your tower
or modify the design yourself to best work in your situation.

I suspect, also, you will need some ground radials in any case,
regardless of how you do it, as the tower becomes the antenna
element if you shunt feed the tower, itself.   I an quite sure the
160 meter add on kit is fed against ground radials, as the Hi-Tower
itself is, in any case.

Otherwise, I think I would make up an Inverted L and hang it
about three or more feet off the side of the tower, at least 45
feet up,  maybe 60 if you have a big tower, and run the horizontal
end as far as possible in the direction I wanted to prefer.  Again,
you will need to pay attention to the ground image (return path)
radial counterpoise thing.

Just MY take.   Gokod Luck !!

w7jwc at charter.net wrote:

  best way to use the trylon tower for 160 and 80 meters. I was
thinking about shunt feeding the tower. Any ideas.