[TowerTalk] wrapping a big grip on phillystran

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Nov 12 02:12:40 EST 2008

I'm going to answer this on the group as a number asked this question.
I hope I get this straight. It 's easier to do than to describe
properly. <:-))

I calculated and cut to length the guys needed plus a couple feet extra
on each one.  I  had planned on using an EHS tie to the anchor so if I
missed the length by a couple of feet I could correct the problem by
cutting the EHS to fit.  EHS lengths vary from about 10 to 14 feet.
(What ever was needed)
I installed the Big Grip (TM) on the end that would go on the tower.
The excess on the other end was wound around an anchor such as a tree,
or was driven in the yard. Sometimes a thimble will help here even if it
has to be over size.  The end that went in the Big Grip was gripped by a
double "cam lock" like the kind used for gripping fence wire when
stretching it (only larger). I think it was only about $3 or $4 at the
local ACE hardware store.   I don't have any photos of the procedure.

I hooked a "comealong" to the cam lock and put the guy under about 400#
tension. Then installed the Big Grip according to the instructions.  The
most difficult part was finding, or creating two anchor points the
correct distance apart although I did have a 20' Comealong as well as a
20' log chain which gave me 40 feet of leeway. This was the point where
I discovered all that steel in my welding bench may weight half a ton,
but 400# or tension easily skids it across the floor. <:-))

When winding a Big Grip became a problem I used a BIG screwdriver as a
lever to easily get the wrap to conform. (One turn at a time...per
side). Some times at the very end it was one wire at a time.

Yes, they work very much like the "Chinese Handcuffs". The pretension
when wrapping gives a better grip. I've never had one come loose, but
they are not normally reusable. If one has to be redone within about a
week it can be done once.  The instructions give the specifics on that
and I don't remember. My copy is out in the shop, but they are available
on line.

73

Roger (K8RI)