[TowerTalk] wire antenna question

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Fri Nov 14 10:39:05 EST 2008

Steve, when I plug your numbers into a transmission line program I get  these
results:283.8 -j23.66 = 5.72 vswr (same as your example).

288.2 +j0 = 5.7 vswr which is just slightly lower than example #1 but
illustrates better vswr when j=0.

I did not look into the 40 +j4 case but in general, real antennas show a
reactance change much greater than a resistance change when they are in the
range of one half wavelength. I would expect a reactance of maybe 20 ohms
(positive) for an increase of 5 ohms in the resistive value. This would show a  vswr
of 1.55 which is higher than the 40 +j0 value of 1.25.

Perhaps someone can model a dipole to confirm or refute this.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 11/14/2008 3:54:59 A.M. Central Standard Time,