[TowerTalk] Dipole Center Connector

jim Jarvis jimjarvis at optonline.net
Tue Nov 18 09:54:54 EST 2008

AD5VJ wrote:

>> I am working on building a dipole for 80 meters.
>>
>> I have the wire, poles and rope needed to string it, but dont
>> have the money right now to buy the Budwig PL-259 center
>> connector for it.
>>
>> Any ideas what I can use that will actually keep the antenna
>> up there for a while, I have come up with some ideas, but
>> would like to work from good ol' reliable successful
>> experience instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

Bob... I've never used one of those ready made things for a dipole,
and I've been doing it
since 1958.   Simply take the coax, and strip it back so you have two
pigtails of about 3" long.
Take a simple end insulator, loop the coax over it, tightly, and
fasten with a tie-wrap.   Then, solder
the pigtails to the dipole legs.   I've generally used 'household
goop' to seal up the
end of the coax, where I've made the pigtails, just to minimize water
incursion.
But that end should be facing down, in any case,  so water won't pour
in.

If you tightly wrap things with electrical tape, it won't hurt any,
and may look better, as well.

N2EA