[TowerTalk] Lanyard hookup to tower

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Fri Nov 21 23:13:36 EST 2008

If you use braces as personnel safety anchorages, the TIA-222-G standard recommends a minimum brace diameter of 3/8" with a minimum weld length of one inch.  TIA-222-G specifies that safety anchorages be capable of supporting at least 5,000 pounds per attached climber.

Rohn 25 uses small diameter 5/16 inch Z braces and short 13/16 inch welds that are extremely unsafe for use as safety anchorages.  Only the legs on Rohn 25 can be used to provide safe anchorage.

The 7/16 inch braces and 1.25 inch welds used on Rohn 45 towers provide safe anchorage; however, a climber should carefully inspect the welds before using the braces as anchorages.

A climber should never use a diagonal brace as an anchorage because of the risk of slippage.

73
Frank
W3LPL