[TowerTalk] Was "43ft Vertical Feeding Question and Balun Type"

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 23 17:16:25 EST 2008

Gary K9GS wrote:
> Like this one?
>
> http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-998
>
> 73,
>
> Gary

That's probably a L network tuner (just like the LDG, etc.). I'm not
sure it would be appropriate for tuning a vertical over all frequencies.
  I would imagine, though, that with a relatively few passive components
in a network at the base of the antenna, that kind of tuner would work
just fine.

You need to deal with the small R, big X on low bands, and big R big X
where the radiator is close to a half wave, and the typical coax in/coax
out tuner doesn't necessarily do it all that well.