[TowerTalk] House entrance ground for RF ground?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Oct 6 02:11:45 EDT 2008

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 16:33:54 -0500, Perry - K4PWO wrote:

>The original poster was talking about tying into the ground bus at his house
>panel.  I believe that is a BAD idea.

The MOST important thing is that all the grounds in your house stay as close to
the same voltage as possible, including your ham shack. By tying your antenna
to the electrical panel, you keep the rest of the house closer to the voltage
in the shack as long as the strike comes from the antenna and the connection to
the panel is BEEFY and SHORT.

In other words, the voltage in your house WILL rise during a strike. You want
the whole house to go up together. You DON'T want part of the house (the shack)
to be at a higher voltage than the rest of the house -- the voltage between the
shack and other stuff in the house is what can blow stuff up.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC