[TowerTalk] house entrance ground for RF ground?

Perry - K4PWO k4pwo at comcast.net
Mon Oct 6 14:40:51 EDT 2008

I should clarify that a perimeter ground system IS tied to the electrical
panel ground at the panels ground rod, not in the panel.  Most ground bus
strips in panels are not well suited for the large currents induced by
lightening strikes.  I've seen many panels with a #6 copper to the ground
rod held by an acorn nut.  If you connect the "shack" ground at the panel
the induced current will flow from the higher potential ground and common to
the hot sides of the line.  Any surge protectors will shunt the current,
until they are overwhelmed, raising the hot sides along with the
common/ground.  However, should the protectors fail, the common/ground
system can go well above the hot sides and you will have equipment damage.
Can a full on strike be averted, probably not... but the rule of thumb is
prevent the induced current from entering the home if at all possible.  Keep
all ground connections direct, use largest conductors affordable, use
cadwelds over acorn nuts, and do all bonding outside as close to the earth
as possible.  A station ground to electrical panel to ground rod is a daisy
chain that invites the weak link to fail.

73 de Perry - K4PWO