[TowerTalk] Tower damaged by Hurricane Ike - where can I get help?

M Blaise ag5t at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 6 18:39:52 EDT 2008

My two-section hy-gain 36 foot crank up tower was heavily damaged by Hurricane Ike. I did take before and after photos, but my insurance company says none of my outdoor ham radio items are covered (which I expected). The wind somehow bent the tower or forced it so that it now leans in a large arc way over to the right. The gemquad antenna that was atop the tower was pretty much ripped apart in the storm. The brace between the tower and the house was knocked out, so that the tower now is forced into the house. I wasn't able to crank the top section down before the storm. I tried to crank it after the storm, but the arc and the bend won't allow anything to move. My question is - is there any type of construction crew I might be able to pay to repair the tower, or if not, to haul it away as junk? I would ask local hams to help but they either have their own damage to repair or they are still working with the Red Cross, ARES, etc. in recovery efforts. My
 other option is to somehow get the tower away from roof and just push the whole thing over to crash to the ground. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Marty, AG5T