[TowerTalk] Grounding with Polyphaser lightning arrestors

Drax Felton draxfelton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 22:57:15 EDT 2008

My 70 ft. tower is going to be 5 feet from the corner my house with several
runs of coax from the tower base to the radio room.
Those runs will each be about 25 feet long to the radio.

To start out I'm going to have three ground rods about 15 feet apart from
each other in an arc around the tower and connected to each tower leg and
then one another.
Then one of the tower legs will be connected to the electical service ground
which is also maybe 8 feet away,

Should I install my Polyphaser lightning arrestors at the bottom of the
tower or at the entry point where the coax enters the house?

I was thinking about putting the arrestors on the tower base.  I would then
put ferrite beads over the coax and make a choke out of the coax where it
enters the house on the premise that this choke point would look high
impedance to lighting.   Am I off-base in my thinking?  If its an alright
idea then how many turns of what diameter of 9913 coax makes an effective
lightning and common mode choke at HF and at 6 and 2 meters?

-Drax
KB3X